Monday, March 9, 2020

Great Films on Kanopy

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't tell someone about how they can watch great films on Kanopy.

Kanopy is a film streaming service that people from many communities can access free using a local library card or university ID.

I've discovered that many of my favorite films are available on Kanopy. (And I've discovered many, many more films I didn't know about -- along with tons of documentaries and educational materials.)

Here are a few of my favorites -- together with blog posts I've written, where relevant.

Wings of Desire

Ikiru

The Hours 

Women Without Men 
Blog post: Can Shirin Neshat's Film "Women Without Men" be a US-Iran Cultural Bridge?

Jules and Jim
Blog post: What Would It Take for Friendship to Trump War?

The Great Dictator
Blog post: Why Weren't People Talking About It?

The Hurt Locker
Blog post: DU: Will we ever be able to say "We're done here" ?

The Most Dangerous Man in America
Blog post: Zombie Alert! (How Government Secrecy Seduces Congress to Support War)

National Bird
Blog post: The Truth About Drones (*NOT* APPROVED by the US Air Force)

The Door
Blog post: IN ORDER TO HAVE A FUTURE: We MUST Study Chernobyl . . .

Hellfire - Journey from Hiroshima
Blog post: The Marukis' Antiwar Paintings: A Lesson in Collaboration

I Live in Fear
Blog post: FILM ABOUT HIROSHIMA: Kurosawa's "I Live in Fear" (Nuclear Danger: Three Ways of Talking About the Unmentionable)

Message From Hiroshima
Blog post: FILM ABOUT HIROSHIMA: On Tanabe's "Message from Hiroshima"

Beneath the Blindfold
Blog post: The Revelations of "Beneath the Blindfold"

Here are several more great documentaries we have used in the past for film screenings at church:

The Interrupters

The House I Live In

Bonhoeffer

Call Me Kuchu

Gasland

(What's next? I have a whole list of new films to watch on Kanopy . . . !)

No comments:

Post a Comment