Sunday, September 18, 2016

On Nuclear Weapons: We Need Tenacity

I'm back from a week in Washington, DC, talking to people in Congress about the need to take back control of nuclear weapons from the president -- advocacy I encourage every person in the US to engage in.

When I set out for Washington, I tried to motivate myself with an image of strength, righteousness, and nobility. Here is my image of myself carrying an important message to Congress:


NASA 747 transporting space shuttle orbiter over Washington, DC.
Congress is visible in the lower right corner.


After talking to a lot of people -- and never being quite exactly whether or not I was being heard -- I was beginning to feel less and less like a sleek and powerful spaceship.

As the time came to leave for home, I was lucky enough to encounter an adage about the power of persistence: “If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” (Attributed to the Dalai Lama.)


“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.”
(Image from Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears: A West African Tale,
a picture book by Verna Aardema and illustrated by Leo and Diane Dillon.)


So I return home . . . humbled but still persistent . . . .

More to come . . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment