Protest Human Rights Violations by U.S. Government!
Date/Time: Saturday, December 10 1:00 p.m.
Location: Federal Plaza (Dearborn & Adams) Chicago, with procession to Occupy Chicago, State Street shopping district, and Obama 2012 HQ
On Facebook: Please "join" on the FB event page ... and invite LOTS of friends!!
Saturday, December 10th, is International Human Rights Day. Chicago World Can't Wait will lead a group of individuals and organizations in dramatizing U.S. human rights violations and publicizing the upcoming worldwide protests of the 10th anniversary of the Guantanamo Bay Detention center on January 11th, 2012 (*See key links below).
- meet at Federal Plaza at 1PM in orange jumpsuits and black hoods
- procession to LaSalle and Jackson for rally with Occupy Chicago about the Declaration of Human Rights and the sharp contrast with U.S. human rights violations
- procession on multiple paths, converging on State St. shopping district (State & Washington) (leafletting along the way)
- procession to Obama 2012 Headquarters (Michigan & Randolph) for "Nobel Revocation Ceremony"
The culmination of the action will take place at Obama 2012 Headquarters, where the "King of Norway" will revoke the Nobel Peace Prize that was awarded exactly two years previously (December 10, 2009) to Barack Obama, on account of his violations of human rights and crimes against peace, including:
- failure to close Guantanamo
- expansion of indefinite detention at Bagram and other detention centers throughout Afghanistan
- assassinations, including assassinations of U.S. citizens, among other violations of due process
- widening of the the war of terror into Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia
- arrogation of war power to himself in the NATO attack on Libya
- threats of war against Iran
Please join Chicago World Can't Wait and others in this very important demonstration of opposition to war crimes by the U.S. government as the U.S. continues to wage illegitimate wars and widen the so-called "war on terror" (war OF terror!).
Please "join" on the FB event page ... and invite LOTS of friends!!
Contact: Jill McLaughlin jilreb [at] yahoo.com
AND ... Sunday, December 11th, screening of "The Response" in Logan Square
Everyone is welcome to attend the free screening the next day at St. Luke's Logan Square of the award-winning film about Guantanamo, "The Response." Sunday, December 11th, noon, 2649 N. Francisco, Chicago.
*More information on January 11th, 2012 worldwide protests of Guantanamo Bay Detention Center anniversary:
- Coalition of nationwide groups led by Amnesty International, World Can't Wait, and Witness Against Torture to assemble 2,700 orange-jumpsuited protesters in Washington D.C.
- Parallel protests across USA, plus international protests (London, Paris, Finland, others)
- Chicago action being organized by Witness Against Torture Chicago and fully supported by Midwest Antiwar Mobilization -